07 October 2009

Women I admire, part deux


Every once in a while, someone comes along who is so inspiring to me - so admirable, that I want to share them with you. However, this time, I am quite certain that most of you have already met the object of my inspiration. Alas, for those of you who have not had the opportunity to read her blog, or even better, her book, it is time that you too are introduced.




You see, this woman of the world lives in a country that I simply adore visiting. She lives in a home that, if I didn't have a home I already adore, would be terribly envious of. She is graceful, she is generous, and she is incredibly wise when it comes to her views on living a full and rich life. She is living the dream~





The gorgeous Vicki Archer, author of the blog French Essence, as well as the book My French Life, is someone I admire greatly.




One thing that I truly appreciate about her is her knowledge of the French woman, and what it is that gives her an edge when it comes to beauty, grace, and elegance, not to mention her sense of confidence. Not only does Vicki understand it, but she is more than happy to share her thoughts on it for those of us who are happy to read and absorb it all.





She has written about it on her blog, and devotes an entire chapter of her book to the subject. I came across it last night while once again enjoying the gorgeous photos that the book offers (and let me tell you, if I didn't already want to live in France, this book would push me in that direction). In that one little chapter, Vicki captures what it is to be a woman in France. What it is to live in a country where beauty and self-confidence are understood, not over done, and so incredibly ingrained that it is a part of your soul. She shares the thought that it begins inside, with how French women see the world around them, what they value, and what true beauty really is. For this one reason, Vicki provides me with incredible inspiration.







And yet, that is not all she has to share! Vicki has also raised three beautiful children, is married to her handsome husband, with whom she shares a beautiful French farmhouse in the south of France. This French "Mas" has been lovingly restored, from it's beautiful stone exterior and lovely gardens surrounding it, to the classic French interior. What I wouldn't give for her stunning kitchen!





I read Vicki's blog each day - sometimes it offers stylish photos of fabulous fashion, sometimes sage advice. But the one thing it does is brings me closer to a country and a lifestyle that I aspire to live, here in my west coast farm house~


xx


29 comments:

Cathi said...

In total agreement with you...I love Vicki's blog...I have yet to read her books, but they are definitely on my to read list...

robin laws said...

this was so spot on for me. self confidence, self image, being beautiful inside and out have been on my mind in the worst way this past year. i don't want to hear anyone say aging is "just a part of life" or "it matters how old you feel not how old you are". getting old as a woman sucks in my experience. there is nothing graceful about it for the average female. there are many exceptions of course, women who are beautiful long into the later years but for most of us....well it is not much fun. in our culture an older woman begins to be treated differently as soon as she loses that hormonal advantage that keeps the aging process at bay. people begin to look past you, show less interest, subtle things that are maddeningly hurtful. but i liked this post and am going to look at this book you mention. there are many things that i can do to balance the reality of aging with creating beauty all around me. thank you sweet girl for the inspiration.
XO

robin laws said...

and besides i simply adore the photograph on that book cover and must see it up close :)
xo

Heather said...

So true, so true.

Jackie said...

I also love Vicki's blog and book - she epitomizes grace and beauty in every part of her life!!

Beadboard UpCountry said...

I think that was a nice piece you did of Vicki's new book. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy. Although I've been to France several times, I would just love to move there. NO Problem!!! Oh I guess there is because I'm still HERE. Thanks for enlightening me.

Donna Reyne' said...

I too have been a devoted follower of Vicki's blog and book,now books! She has a way of really making you feel like you are in a conversation with her.
I have tried many of her recommendations and now think "she know all! "
She is just so...Elegant!
Thank you for this wonderful post!
Hope you have a divine week...dj

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

I totally agree with you! I love to read her blog and long to return to the French countryside...who wouldn't after reading about the figs? Her portrayal of French women has us all seeking our inner self. Great pick!

Tricia said...

Fabulous post Mimi...I love Vicki's blog as well and need to get her book.

Drawn to The Sea said...

French mamas must be wonderful, to raise such fabulous French daughters. :-)

Wishing you happiness today, Miss Mimi,
~Julia

A Gift Wrapped Life said...

She is absolutely fabulous. Aren't we lucky to have her in our blogging world? Everybody should have her book(s) and her latest is simply sublime (I went through it last night) She does everything with the most gracious style. The most fabulous gift as well.

Tish Jett said...

Yes, I agree her blog is wonderful. I can't wait to get my hands on her book.

Your blog is absolutely charming. I love the idea you want to raise good future husbands. What an extraordinary desire.

Donna said...

I have to get that book. I have seen it on some other blogs and now I am really curious! I am off to check out her blog too! Thanks for the inspiration.
France! Count me in!!

beachvintage.com said...

I just love Vickis blog and I am half way through her first book, so I had better get a hurry on before I get the next one.

manon 21 said...

tu as raison sur tout.
j'ai son premier livre et j'ai hâte
d'acheter le deuxième.

amitiés

manon

FrenchBlue said...

I so agree with you! I am with Sande, so honored Vicki shares with us in this blogging circle we have and all share together. Thanks for honoring one of our most special ones~ Beautiful post!
XO's

Jennifer White said...

I can't wait to head over to her blog next...I am unfamiliar with Vicki so this will be a treat for me. I, too, feel very connected to France for some reason. I have visited three times, and every time I go I feel as if I belong there for whatever reason... maybe in a past life... who knows. Thank you again for the beautiful post!

Unknown said...

I have a small store in Brisbane (Australia) and several years ago I posted about Vicki's first book, when she left a comment I was ridiculously excited, I drove my family nuts and never stopped talking about her book, now they are as hooked as I am. We received 36 copies of her book today in our store and all but 5 have been sold, I have received emails from Japan and numerous other countries where I am sending her book, I have just ordered another 24 copies. What makes it so special, its her!!!!! she is kind, real, gorgeous and talented and most importantly she shares her life and her inspiration with us daily, a great post x

Kasey said...

yes...
vicki and i go WAY back.
i love her and her blog..and can't believe she likes little ole me!
xo

Morgane said...

are we such elegant ones ? I'm french and i guess i'm not the queen of elegance but i love the way american women see us !

Anne Marie said...

how very nice of you to write about her in such a charming way~
we do need to cherish being a woman....and by acknowledging other women who inspire us is surely the way to do that......

Anne Marie said...

okay....just read quite a few of her older posts, for which I have missed (somehow) that you linked - and wow.....even though I'm a reader of hers, I absolutely love her perspective.....

karey m. said...

THAT'S! HER! KITCHEN?!

sorry to yell. but, seriously?!

holy heck. i'm in love.

NicNacManiac said...

I also love her blog and I will be getting a copy of her book very soon, she is so inspirational and all of her posts really bring a smile to my face. Thanks for sharing and enjoy the rest of your day!! xOxO Nerina :)

Apron of the Month Club said...

Oh what a wonderful blog. It is so inspirational. It is always a pleasure making a visit with you. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Best wishes
Yoli

good goods & co said...

I just read through you comments and..oh dear!! Robinbird--I am sad for you. That you feel the way you do about your age. From your photograph, you look quite young. I'm 55, and I love it. More winkles? Several more pounds? Yes, but I am so much wiser, more patient, more grateful and funnier than I've ever been!! I LOVE the "being invisible". It's makes it easier to just smile and observe others! And other women in their 50s, 60s and 70s oh and up!! are just wonderful and funny and a lot spicier than I ever imagined.
Like watching our children grow, and enjoying every stage no matter how trying it was---watch yourself grow!!! Isn't it interesting and amazing?

Dumbwit Tellher said...

Thank you for the intro to Vicki's blogg & fabulous book. Cannot wait to indulge in both. French women are truly to be admired. Great post ~

Carole said...

Yes I found Vicki's blog a few months ago and it is very special. At the time I had no idea she was a writer. I think I mentioned she should write a book....dah!
xo...C

Gaia said...

thank you ! I didn't see her kitchen!
I'm a Frenche Essence follower and I missed it!

Thanks a lot... now I'm truly envious>!