29 September 2009

welcome autumn




While walking to the bus with #3 this morning, I noticed that old familiar chill in the air. I grabbed my scarf as I headed out the door, and was thankful for the warm cup of chai tea in my hands. We stopped under the chestnut tree in search of one of our favorite autumn treasures, some chestnuts bare in their rich, smooth brown skin, some with their pokey green protective coating. We stuffed as many as we could fit in the side pocket of his backpack before hustling down to the end of the road.





I took my time walking back to the house, as I was enjoying the smell of burning leaves in the air, the cool breeze on my face, and the leaves beginning to drift out of the trees. I realized that it is now time to begin visiting our local cider shop with its varieties of cider as well as so many apples. We love to dry them for winter snacks, so time to pull out the dehydrator as well~





I do love this time of year - the small break between the heat and blazing sun of summer and the dark, wet days of winter. In that brief moment, there is this feeling of coziness, the desire to nest, to organize, to tidy. It is that time when the gardens still hold their bounty from summer plantings, markets begin to offer that gorgeous produce that is to become our favorite comfort foods, and warm sweaters are enough to keep comfortable.





I am a nester at heart - a girl who loves being cozy and comfortable. It seems that autumn is just about perfect in my eyes~

xx

29 comments:

A Gift Wrapped Life said...

I am finally with you on this autumn thing that has finally landed, it is cosy and much better than perspiration! Your new header photo looks great.

Unknown said...

Oh me too, I am definitely a nester :)

What a beautiful post, so descriptive.

Love your new header....such lovely colours xo

LuLu said...

I'm ready to embrace the cozy days of winter,
LuLu

Shannan Martin said...

Wouldn't it be sad to not be a nester? I think so.

Lovely, lovely pictures, by the way.

Leen said...

Me too, cozy and comfortable :)

Pony Girl said...

I never thought of it that way, a "nester", but I am, too! :) I love to be cozy, which is why I love fall. I do wish we got less rain and more crisp sunny days, though!

Heather said...

Those are gorgeous pears.

MODERN Prairie Girl said...

I feel the same way, girl! This is my fave season by far. I'll even take the NW rain that goes along with it. That white pumpkin pic reminded me I need to get to the market to stock up on some "gourde accessories" :)
oxox
L

Bonnie said...

Beautifully written. I think you described in words what we are all feeling this time of year. Thanks for the inspiration!

Laura said...

What a lovely post welcoming autumn. Growing up in Toronto fall was always my favorite time of year due to the amazing colors on the trees and whisper of winter. Love your blog sweetie! Come stop by for a slice of San Francisco...

manon 21 said...

bel automne chez toi!
amitiés

manon

Nelly said...

I went out in the garden to get some apples today. Love the colors and the smell of autumn.

Nelly

Jacqueline @ HOME said...

What wonderful images of Autumn. A lovely time of year and now brings back fond memories of my son's wedding, last year in October.
Also love your new header...so pretty. XXXX

M said...

love the fall too - so beautiful. As is your photos. xo

PS: love your new header + profile photo :-)

Ann said...

I am dreaming of Autumn air. I detest Early fall in Florida, it isn't fall at all. Yesterday was 91 and humid.Couldn't even stand it outside.

Jeanne Oliver said...

Me too! I love this time and I really come into my true element. I love to cook and bake more...and probably gain weight if I am not careful!!

Jackie said...

Love, love autumn! What a beautiful post! Cozy is the name of the game...sweaters and slippers and soups and stews - nothing better!

Cathi said...

Lovely post...I am a definite nester myself - especially this time of year...I am dreaming of hot apple cider simmering on my stove now...! Have a great day!

Philigry said...

yes, autumn is by far my favortie time too! lovely pictures.

a.love said...

I had no idea how much I loved Fall until last year. Every time I read how magical Fall is, where it's actually a season, I wrap my office sweater a little tighter and so desperately wish God would whisper, "It's time to move to a place with seasons" :)

shabbyscraps said...

oh, I am so ready for fall too!love this time of year!
xoxo Tiffany

Lori said...

I know this is your favorite season ever ~ lovely post Kim and as always ~ your images are beautiful. xo

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

And now I'm longing to be back up North. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

These photos are sooooo lovely. They just scream autumn. I especially love the one of the pumpkins and squashes. I must post the cute photo Tim took of the squashes outside of Common Folk last week. By the way I am having a blog giveaway for Halloween, hop over and take a look. Miss You!
Amada

Kasey said...

must
sell
pumpkin
bread
for
paris

Unknown said...

awwwww fall~ I cant wait! I loved your pears. They look all snuggled and warm~

Joyce said...

I'm with you- I love the comfy feel of the season. xoxo

Lisa-Marie said...

I too am a person who likes cosiness and homeliness. I love autumn, I like jumpers and scarfs, and autumnal colours, and soup and things with creamy yummy sauces!

revesdargile.canalblog said...

Hello

What a beautiful and sweety pictures !!


Monique