22 June 2009

Dining outdoors


A friend of ours is traveling through Italy right now with his family.  They have been to some incredible places, but one of his photos really caught my eye.  It was this photo of a gorgeous outdoor dining area~



I have seen quite a number of outdoor dining areas lately that I like, but this one struck a chord in me because right now, I am trying to create a dining area up by our fire pit and have been going back and forth between shade from trees and a large pergola.  While I would prefer trees, the time it would take for them to mature would be long and I don't want to wait years for shade. A friend had suggested a large vine-covered pergola as it would create that shady area I am looking for much much faster.  


I love how tall this one is, and how simple.  Granted, the view of the Italian countryside surrounding it isn't exactly undesirable, but I don't anticipate if I build a pergola like this, I will suddenly have that view as well...  It would be nice though!

Now it is just a matter of encouraging my handsome (and incredibly talented) husband that we really do need this on our property...  Wish me luck!

xo

ps~ if you want to see the incredible residence that they are staying at, where this pergola is located, you can find it here.


10 comments:

FrenchBlue said...

I'm with you all the way~ I love those trees! And what about that table top!! It's a whole package for sure. Thanks for sharing.
ox's

Poke Salad Annie said...

food always tastes better with fresh air in the nose!

Unknown said...

I do believe that your handsome and supremely talented husband would be the perfect man for the job, he is SOOOOOO good at stuff like this :)
I love the pergola plan too.....trees are good but take too long.
Can't wait to see the finished result :)

Christine--RHP said...

this is also one of my 'projects' at our house....still trying to convince B that we need the pergola NOW, because it's summer......
slowly, slowly

Jackie said...

I love pergolas! Especially covered in vines...a perfect solution!

Kristin said...

Well that is about yummy in Italy scenery and pretty pergolas! Yes...you most definitely need something like this on your beautiful property. You just do girly!

Jeanne Oliver said...

My husband built us a pergola a few years ago for our outdoor fireplace. We love it and can't wait until the vines reach the top.

Anonymous said...

Yes yes yes.....Me like you blogg!!

Agneta from Sweden

Joyce said...

I enjoy outdoor entertaining. Unfortunately we only have a window of opportunity with our uninvited guests, the mosquitoes family. The humidity is one thing but these little guys can kill a party fast.

I will be looking for the new addition in your yard. xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hello , You are that sweet gal from Farm Chicks. You were so darling - dressed as though you should be on top of a cupcake , someone said. I'm so glad you stopped by! Will you be at the Barnhouse Flea Market in July? Maybe I will see you there. Sue PS The photos are Beautiful!