03 June 2009

Oatmeal (chocolate chip or M&M) cookies

1 cup butter at room temperature
1/2 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp good vanilla

2 cups flour (I sometimes use 1 of whole wheat and 1 of white)
1 1/2 cups oatmeal
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1/4 cup oat bran (both the flax and oat bran can be skipped - I simply throw them in to get them into my boys considering how many cookies they eat!)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

2-3 cups of chips or Ms - my men like a lot of chocolate!


Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl mix butter and sugars well.  Add eggs and vanilla and blend thoroughly.  In a separate bowl, mix all dry ingredients together.  Add half of the dry ingredients at a time to the wet and mix just until incorporated.  Add chocolate of your liking, and mix until evenly distributed. Refrigerate for about 15 minutes to slightly chill.  (I find that this keeps them a bit thicker and chewier) 

I use a cookie scoop to drop them onto the cookie sheet.  It makes them so nice and uniform in size.  I set my timer for 11 minutes and then watch them.  I have a gas oven so it cooks a bit differently then an electric.  You might have to adjust the time based on your oven~

Enjoy!
xo

7 comments:

pve design said...

I love that you added "good" vanilla.
I adore these sorts of cookies and have long been an avid cookie baker - with many monsters in my home.
Cookie Monsters!
pve

Kristin said...

So, I am so needing these cookies today. I have missed your comments. That sounds selfish I know. But I am learning to be real these days. I have always been real, but transparent from behind my walls, oh no! So, with you I begin.....

What I find on your blog is amazingly inspiring. You are a place I visit everyday. You make me want to plant a garden, be a photographer, enjoy my family, make yummy food, and well, you always have images and architecture that seems to match my taste. I have gained many dreams here, I am certain many have! I thank you for being the kind of person that seems to enjoy the smallest of beauty, your family or smiles and you are precious. You give people dreams you do!!

I pray I can bless you back in some way! How I hope to and will.

So, thank you for you too!

xo-kristin

M said...

Mimi, I just want to go into the kitchen and start baking right now. Your cookies sound so yummy!

I've just started a new blog, and therefore also changed my profile name - but it is me: 'the eco muse'. I hope the honey-mask worked well yesterday:-)

Hope you have a lovely day - and thanks for a always great blog...

georgia b. said...

yum! i love oatmeal cookies and i love m&m's. i will definitely be trying out this recipe. thanks!

jane said...

these look delish and healthy. i thank you... and my hips thank you... :)

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to make these. Nothing is better than freshly cookies, especially on a a rainy day like we have been having! Great reminder to use whole wheat flour-- it usually slips my mind. Thank for sharing!

Chez Zizi said...

I used to make oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. Your recipe has me wanting to make them again like yours. Thanks.